Heavy, Painful Periods
If heavy, painful menstrual cycles cause you to miss work, school or social activities every month, please talk with a Desert Bloom OBGYN provider. After a complete exam, discussion of your symptoms and any tests you may need, we will talk with you about the many options available to correct your problem. Treatment options range from birth control pills to surgery, depending on the cause of your condition, your overall health and your personal preferences.
Treatments for stopping heavy bleeding
We offer extremely patient-friendly treatments for problem periods. Mirena is a type of birth control that is FDA-approved to treat heavy periods in women. In a clinical trial of Mirena, women with heavy periods had an 80% reduction in bleeding in as early as 3 months, and a 90% reduction at 6 months. Another treatment our Desert Bloom OBGYN providers offer is called endometrial ablation, a procedure that safely removes the lining of the uterus.
- Endometrial ablation is an outpatient procedure with minimal recovery time.
- For most patients, endometrial ablation can be done in the office with mild sedation.
- There are no incisions & most women return to their normal activities within a day or two. Any discomfort can usually be managed with an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Endometrial ablation is highly effective for improving heavy bleeding. Most women report that their periods are shorter & lighter after treatment – some women say their periods have stopped completely.
- Because it removes the uterus lining, endometrial ablation is only for women sure that they do not want to become pregnant in the future. Highly reliable contraception is also necessary for the rest of a woman’s childbearing years.